Friday, March 9, 2012

LISA MEZZACAPPA' BAIT & SWITCH - WHAT IS KNOWN




I received a message from Brainpang in which he mentioned that Lisa Mezzacappa had released two albums that should interest me & the readers of U.M.

Lisa Mezzacappa is a San Francisco-based double bass player and composer. Her influences range from Henry Threadgill, The Art Ensemble Of Chicago, Eric Dolphy, Albert Ayler, Don Cherry, Ornette Coleman and Rahsaan Roland Kirk to Sun Ra.
For her first solo album, "What Is Known", Lisa recorded a fine version of Don Van Vliet's 'Lick My Decals Off, Baby'.

This is fabulous. I love it. And I'm not just talking about the excellent Beefheart coverversion. No, I'm talking about the entire album.
If you're in to adventurous jazz and improvised music, you will love this. I know I do.


http://www.lisamezzacappa.com/

Here's a concert fragment from 2010. It will immediately show you why I like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment